GTTP: Preview Of The New HAUTLENCE HL Sphere 02
Editor’s Note: Don’t have time to be reading the Editor’s Note, do we? Short-attention span, have we? Just need a quick watch fix? This preview of the new HAUTLENCE HL Sphere 02 is a GET TO THE POINT (GTTP) review with all the info you want / need to know QUICK. Let’s get to the point.
What is it: The new HAUTLENCE HL Sphere 02, part of their CONCEPTS D’EXCEPTION collection. It is equipped with the eighth manufacture calibre of the brand featuring a jumping hour that spins on a sphere. This follows the HL Sphere 01 ref. H1501-0200 and is part of the ‘Sphere’ sub-collection. The new HAUTLENCE HL Sphere 02 is the 19th offering within the brand’s CONCEPTS D’EXCEPTION collection.
In my book, it’s the best release since the colourful and enigmatic Vortex Primary, the ref. H1370-0503, that featured the HAUTLENCE HL2.0 in-house calibre automatic winding system
Why: Because nostalgia has no expiry, and mechanical prowess always impresses. The cool looking HAUTLENCE signature TV screen shape watch case inspired by TV sets of yore is impressive
When released: 15 December 2020, and is now available in limited number of 28-pieces only
Who is it for: For a watch connoisseur who appreciates out-of-the-box thinking and likes marvelling at horological wonders
How does it do: This sibling from the H. Moser & Cie group is different, innovative, and impressive.
- A blue sphere featuring twelve engraved numerals occupies the left-hand portion of the case and rotates on itself through three rotation axes to reveal the current hour. This movement is dictated by a conical differential including four conical gears that move around two crossed spindles inclined at an angle of 21 degrees. Two polished titanium cases featuring a blue PVD treatment adorn this tridimensional complex system to form a sphere
- The right of the dial features a retrograde minute display with a hand that travels along a fine and elegant minute track that opens onto the movement and partly reveals the balance. This aperture brings the gear train into view, which slows down the course of the minute hand when it returns to zero, regulating its speed so as to reduce impact forces. The differential and snail used to trigger the jumping hour can also be seen beneath the minute hand. The minute track and the applied diamond-polished and metal blue minute numerals are fixed to an intermediary rose gold grained dial
- Impressive attention to detail with the use of an alligator-leather strap in the same blue shade as the sphere. This rolled-edge blue Louisiana alligator is rubber-lined with full square scales, features interchangeable spring bars and comes with a grade 5 titanium with satin-finished steel plate folding clasp
- I like the use of a skeletonised and rhodium-plated with engraved minute track base dial, that complements well the intermediate dial featuring grained rose gold layer with curved diamond-polished appliques numerals with blue PVD treatment
- The satin-finished grade 5 titanium with blue PVD treatment and white lacquer filled minutes hands work their charm on this understated and somewhat sedated dial
Missing: With timepieces like these, usually all I end up finding missing is the lack of accessibility to an average watch enthusiast. Truth be told I honestly like this timepiece a lot, but the limited numbers and the price-point — none of which I am contesting — are a bummer for someone like me. Also, and this goes for across the board, only 30m water-resistance is something they need to improve upon
Basic Specs: The new HAUTLENCE HL Sphere 02 features the D HTL 501-1 hand-wound mechanical movement comprised of 38 jewels, beating at 3Hz (21’600 vph) frequency and boasting of an impressive minimum 3-days power reserve. The movement shows the spherical hour and retrograde minute on a 180° sector and is exquisitely hand finished. The movement is encased inside a 39 x 46 x 12 mm satin-finished and polished white gold case.
To find out more about the new new HAUTLENCE HL Sphere 02, please head to their website here. All images / video unless otherwise stated are courtesy © Hautlence 2020.